- Have a mission for each social media platform you use. Don’t blur the lines between the content you offer one audience and the content you offer another.
- Be proactive rather than reactive. Add value. Bring something new to the discussion.
- Don’t presume to offer what others can easily find themselves. You’re not the only one who knows how to use Google or read a newspaper.
- Know your audience. Understand who they are and what they expect from you. (That doesn’t mean you have to give it to them.)
- Don’t be hysterical. Whenever you can, cool temperatures, turn down volumes.
- Don’t get in fights. You won’t convince them.
- Don’t use reason to try to convince the unreasonable. Understand their values and conform your arguments to appeal to them.
- Do not allow your social media channel to become the vessel for your opponent’s propaganda, even to rebut it. Don’t perpetuate the life of a falsehood by quoting or retweeting it.
- In sum, be the signal, not the noise.